A/C Maintenance: What You Can Do and When to Call a Pro
During the summer, the hardest-working appliance in your home is the air conditioner. Giving it a hand with A/C maintenance will lower your cooling costs and reduce the possibility of a breakdown when you most need cooling comfort. You can do some of the maintenance, while a professional HVAC technician will have to tend to the more complex tasks associated with servicing the A/C.
Checking the air filter monthly during the cooling season is the single most important task you can perform. A dirty air filter will restrict airflow through the system, and your air conditioner will have to work harder to reach your home’s thermostat setting, increasing cooling costs. In addition, reduced airflow may cause the evaporator coil in the air handler to freeze over. If it continues to run, it may damage the compressor, the most expensive part of your A/C system.
The outdoor condenser/compressor needs attention as well. Throughout the cooling season, remove any dead vegetation around the outside unit and try to keep grass clippings off the coils. It’s also a good idea to hose the coils and fins off periodically during the cooling season to optimize heat exchange between the coil and the outside air.
Professional Air Conditioner Tune-Up
Annual professional A/C maintenance usually includes:
- Checking the refrigerant level. If it’s too low or high, your system won’t run as efficiently. If the level is low, the technician will trace the leak and repair it before refilling the coolant.
- Cleaning the indoor evaporator coil.
- Looking for signs of leaky ducts and repairing them.
- Inspecting the electrical components, cleaning and tightening if necessary. Clean and tight connections will improve the efficiency and safety of your equipment.
- Oiling the motors and tightening the belts.
- Verifying that the thermostat is accurate and recalibrating if necessary.
Between the A/C maintenance you do and professional servicing, your system will operate with greater efficiency and longevity. To learn more or schedule a visit, please contact us at Preferred Air Conditioning & Mechanical, Inc. We have provided exceptional HVAC services to the West Palm Beach and the Port St. Lucie areas since 1991.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com