Replacing air filters is probably one of the most important maintenance tasks you will have to perform on your cooling and heating systems. Air filters help protect HVAC components from airborne particulates, maintain necessary system airflow, and also improve your home’s air quality. The air filter captures a variety of airborne particles, so it becomes dirty over time. This means filters eventually get clogged and need to be replaced. Not replacing your air filter when it’s dirty can cause a number of problems, including:
- System failure. Dirty air filters have a high resistance to airflow. This increases the stress on your air handler, which can cause it to overheat and eventually break down.
- Inefficient operation. Making the air handler work harder also increases the energy it uses. Additionally, if it isn’t able to maintain sufficient airflow rates, your furnace and A/C won’t heat or cool your home as efficiently as they should.
- Poor indoor air quality. Airborne particulates degrade your home’s air quality, so a dirty filter that isn’t as effective at removing particles also will result in decreased indoor air quality.
- Increased need for other maintenance. Your ductwork as well as your heating and cooling equipment likely will need to be cleaned more often since more dirt and debris get through to the rest of the HVAC system when the air filter is dirty or clogged.
- Increased costs. All the extra energy use and maintenance needs resulting from not replacing the air filter regularly will hugely outweigh any cost and trouble from simply buying a new filter and installing it. If your energy comes from burning fossil fuels, a dirty filter also will increase your carbon footprint.
A wide range of filters are available that differ in their efficiency at removing particles from the air. More efficient filters offer more protection for your HVAC system and air quality. However, they also have a higher resistance to airflow, so you’ll want be careful not to get one that stresses your air handler too much.
For more information on replacing air filters, contact the professionals at Preferred Air Conditioning & Mechanical, Inc. We have been providing quality HVAC services to Palm Beach Gardens, Lake Worth, Port St. Lucie and surrounding areas since 1991.