Troubleshooting Problems With Your Heat Pump
A heat pump that doesn’t turn on is a fairly common and easily remedied problem. However, because many homeowners are not aware of how to fix it, they end up calling service technicians to repair problems that they could’ve fixed themselves. For example, some of the issues that can be easily repaired by homeowners include:
- A thermostat that wasn’t set properly
- An emergency or shut off switch that is turned off
- A blown fuse in the panel box
- A tripped circuit breaker or one that is switched off
- A tripped outdoor reset button
- Being “locked out” of the unit
So, before making that service call, here are some of the things that you can do to help you fix small problems and determine if further action needs to be taken:
- Check all the emergency switches to see if they are off.
- Check the breakers (for both indoor and outdoor equipment) to make sure all appliance switches are in the on position.
- If the outdoor unit has a “reset button” press it. If that temporarily fixes the problem, but you have to press the reset button a second time, then the problem is more serious and a service call will be needed.
- Reset the system by turning it off with the thermostat or breaker if your unit has a safety device locking it out. Wait 60 seconds and turn it back on. It may take up to 10 minutes for the outdoor unit to start.
Although troubleshooting helps homeowners deal with minor issues dealing with their heat pump, there are many problems that do need the attention of a professional. These include:
- Broken thermostat
- Faulty contractor
- Malfunctioning time delay relay
- A flawed thermostat cable
- Unit being off due to an open safety device (low or high temperature, low or high pressure)
- Defective control module
If you are looking for a technician to service your heat pump in the Palm Beach or surrounding areas, please contact Preferred Air Conditioning & Mechanical, LLC for all your heating needs.
You May Also Like
During the spring, summer and fall, your heat pump becomes essential in maintaining a cool home. However, even the most reliable HVAC… Continue Reading 4 Signs You Need Heat Pump Repairs in Delray Beach, FL…
Improving airflow is essential for maintaining a comfortable and healthy indoor environment. As a result, you can enjoying energy-efficient cooling in every… Continue Reading 5 Tips for Improving Airflow in West Palm Beach, FL…
Air conditioners should operate efficiently to keep energy costs low, maintain a comfortable temperature and keep air quality high. However, sometimes components… Continue Reading 4 Signs of an Inefficient AC System in Boca Raton, FL…